The focus of our Learning Support programme is on assisting three, sometimes overlapping, groups of students:
- Students with a diagnosed, verified learning disability;
- Students for whom English is a second language;
- Students who, for some other reason, are achieving in Literacy and Numeracy, at a level which is significantly below what would be expected for their age.
Our approach to Learning Support is a whole-school approach which involves every teacher:
- deeply understanding the curriculum intent as being very clear about what they want students to learn
- being aware of individual student needs and appropriate strategies to use in the classroom to support their learning.
- documenting, in work programs on the Edutect Unit Planner system, their strategies for working with students in their class who have been identified as requiring learning support.
- aligning their assessment tasks and strategies to the intended curriculum with consideration to the individual needs of the identified students.
- providing modification and scaffolding for assessment tasks as required
- meeting regularly with learning support staff to ensure a consistent and effective approach to teaching
- providing feedback to inform reporting